Who are Tyk, and what do we do?
The Tyk API Management platform is helping to drive the connected world and power new products and services. We’re changing the way that organisations connect their systems and services. Whether internal, external, public or highly encrypted systems, Tyk helps businesses drive value across multiple industries. If you’ve banked online, used an app to check the news, or even driven a connected car, API’s, and by extension, Tyk, make that possible. Founded in 2015 with offices in London, Atlanta and Singapore, we have many thousands of users of our B2B platform across the globe. Brands using Tyk range from Singapore Post to global organisations like the Financial Times, and Starbucks.
The internet started by connecting mainframes, by the end of the 20th century 600m desktop and laptop computers exchanged email and web-traffic. Today around 15 billion ‘things’ are connected to the internet, growing at a rate of a billion per year. Tyk are committed to enabling interconnectivity between systems and between devices. We’ve started by building an API Management platform.
Total flexibility, default remote, radical responsibility
We offer unlimited paid holidays and remote working from anywhere in the world, for everyone – for real. Why? Tyk was founded on the principle of doing things differently and offering flexibility and autonomy to our employees are two principles that, we believe, allow our employees to achieve their best results. It also means we can build the best possible team, location and working hours are no barrier. If this sounds like an environment that you believe could work for you then read on to find out more:
What can you do with us?
Tyk is growing! We are looking for a Scrum Master to support and enhance our delivery model, keeping Product Owners, Senior Product Managers, and Engineers honest; the Scrum Master is a pivotal role in running and improving our Scrum process. This role will set up and guide ceremonies, run retros, measure our process efficiency, and work with the squads and our Senior Scrum Master to constantly improve what we do.
You will support our squads by shielding them from external interference and removing blockers that inhibit productivity, whilst guiding our product squads on the use of scrum and agile practices. You will also act as a coach and mentor to make the squads more self-sufficient in running Scrum.
You will be a role model for collaborative behaviours, agile values and drive continuous improvement initiatives. You will be motivated to keep your product squads safe and engaged through running team health checks and retrospectives.
Here’s what you’ll be getting up to:
- Work with your squads and Product Managers / Owners to set up and run effective and efficient scrum ceremonies
- Work with Product Owners and the product leadership team to organise team roadmaps and backlogs which deliver on the imperatives of the organization
- Be the conscience of the squads and the POs – ensure we are being true to our process, and we are being true to the principles of Scrum
- Work closely with POs to ensure that we are estimating correctly, we are not creating undue pressure and that our squads are happy and have a good work /life balance
- Run health and happiness surveys and ensure the overall well-being of the team
- Demonstrate and lead with a process improvement mindset – always looking to improve and make our delivery better quality
- Assemble the key delivery metrics for your product area on a monthly basis
- Assist with tooling improvements on Jira which make our processes run more efficiently
- Ensure our squads adhere to our definition of done criteria and continuously ensure that these standards are met
- Help Product Owners run the retro process, and ensure accepted suggestions are logged and actioned
- Work with the squads and the POs to prepare realistic delivery plans based on a sound confidence rating – ensure these are communicated to the Senior Scrum Master
- Be flexible and resilient in your approach to the wider organisation – confidently communicate unrealistic delivery expectations or finding more flexible and innovative ways to work
- Be adaptive in your approach to release by applying the most appropriate framework to the level of risk
- Arbitrate across POs to ensure the release content is achievable and dependencies are known and agreed by POs, squads, and the Lead Architect
- Ensure releases are assessed for technical achieveability, risk, and regression impact by asking the right questions to the senior engineers and QA resources within the squad
- Empower the POs to act independently with a degree of controlled risk – Scrum Master will arbitrate the guardrails, but encourage the PO and squad to push on and make an impact
- Protect the POs and squad from external interferences and radiate information both inbound and outbound from the wider organisation
- Working with Marcoms and Product Evangelists to ensure releases are documented and the relevant go to market activity is completed (blogs/white papers)
- Act as the coordinator and facilitator of wider company demos and show and tells
- Provide input into the performance management process where requested by giving feedback on an individual level
- Leading the fun element of the PO/squad model – naming ceremonies, recognition, kudos, mini retreats, socials etc.
- Gather data for your product area to be included in the change approval process for releases. Ensure the squads and PO’s take a documentation first approach to product
- Work with Product Owners to continually improve the standard of our ticketing – be it story, epic, bug, or task – so that we reduce ambiguity in build
- Be a key lead in assisting the horizon planning process for the next release for your product area
Here’s what we’re looking for:
- Demonstrable solid Scrum / agile delivery experience
- Extensive product owner experience
- A working understanding of the squad model
- Understanding of the API lifecycle management industry and the API management lifecycle
- Working experience of OKR’s preferred
- Demonstrable experience of squad or team direction setting / collaboration
- Any product qualification (i.e. SAFe) – Scrum or agile qualification
- A working understanding of design thinking
- Exposure to, and understanding of, corporate and product strategies
- Extensive product measurement experience – have an understanding of how to measure product value
- Demonstrable experience of squad or team direction setting / collaboration
- Exceptional communication skills, both internally and externally
- Resilience – you will have to say ‘no’
- Obsession with customer outcomes, quality, and design
- Be comfortable with remote working
- Commercial and strategic acumen – understanding of how to deliver on strategy, ROI, revenue growth etc
- Conflict management – both in terms of priority setting and team direction setting
Our early stage team members are shaping our business, there is an attractive package based on experience and performance that includes share options. Everyone has unlimited paid holiday. We have total flexibility in hours, so plan your day around your commitments to ensure you can give your best at work and at home. You will work with a talented, and passionate team of industry experts, who are developing a cutting-edge product that is driving change and innovation within startups and household names alike. We’re a distributed team. Work from our offices during induction if you want, once you are up to speed, you can work from home, a cafe, wherever you get your best work done, we’ll support you in making that happen. The best software and hardware available – we are prime movers in “The New Stack”, our setup reflects that. We are growing rapidly and are looking for team members keen to grab hold, accelerate that further and shape our future.
What’s it like to work here?! check it out: https://marketing-staging.do.poc.tyk.technology/worklife/
Tyk aims to be an equal opportunities employer and we are determined to ensure that no applicant or employee receives less favourable treatment on the grounds of gender, age, disability, religion, belief, sexual orientation, marital status, or race, or is disadvantaged by conditions or requirements which cannot be shown to be justifiable.
You can see more about us here https://marketing-staging.do.poc.tyk.technology